New Chinggis Khaan International Airport (known as Ulaanbaatar airport) opened on 4th July 2021 and the old airport (Buyant Ukhaa airport) is no longer operational for international and domestic flights. New Ulaanbaatar airport is located 52 km from the city center (from Sukhbaatar square) in Khushitgt valley, Tuv province. There are several ways to get from the Ulaanbaatar airport to city, including Public buses, airport shuttle buses, airport taxis, and private transfers.
1. Public buses from new Ulaanbaatar airport
The public bus service was launched on June 24, 2022, from the Chinggis Khaan International Airport in Khushig Valley to Ulaanbaatar city. There are 2 bus public bus lines. Public bus fare from Ulaanbaatar airport to/from city (one way) is 10,000 MNT for an adult, and 5,000 MNT for Children.
Bus line 1: “Chinggis Khaan International Airport-Dragon Bus Station”
Bus line 2: “Chinggis Khaan International Airport-State Department Store”
Do you need Ulaanbaatar airport transfer?
Enjoy private transfer for only $30—same as standard taxis. Experience comfort, reliability, and a stress-free journey.
2. Ulaanbaatar airport shuttle buses
Ulaanbaatar airport opened shuttle bus services at the airport. However, this service is currently not running with a regular timetable. They get bookings and serve the passengers at the moment. If you prefer shared transfer service, you should contact them and book your seats. Ulaanbaatar shuttle bus fare is 30,000 MNT per person. They serve along with following routes.
Shuttle bus routes:
3. Taxis at Ulaanbaatar airport (new international airport)
There are some regular taxis at the new Ulaanbaatar International airport. Taxi fare from the new Ulaanbaatar airport to city center ranges from 100,000 to 150,000 MNT (30 – 50 USD) depending on your arrival/departure locations. You can also call taxi companies to book your ride. There are several taxi companies in Ulaanbaatar, including Ulaanbaatar taxi, and UB cab.
Need Ulaanbaatar airport transfer?
Private Airport Transfers: $30, Same as Taxis!
4. Private airport transfer at Ulaanbaatar airport
Opting for a private transfer is widely regarded as the safest means of reaching your destination. In Ulaanbaatar, securing a private transfer can be effortlessly arranged through your hotel, taxi services, or local travel agencies, each offering various pricing options.
If you are just stepped off the plane, tired from a long flight, there can be no better choice than a private airport transfer direct to your destination. Also, booking a private transfer is the safest way to take you to your destination. Private transfer in Ulaanbaatar is not that expensive but gives you the following benefits;
- Less stress
- Comfort and reduced tension
- Security and reliability
- And more …
We also offer an airport transfer service starting from 30 USD (100,000 MNT) from the new International Ulaanbaatar airport. Consider pre-book your airport transfer for a stress-free journey to your destination.
5. Driving to new Ulaanbaatar airport
The new Ulaanbaatar airport is connected with the city by a 32.5 km new highway road through Yarmag Bureau-Aitsyn Davaa-Turgen Bridge-Bukhogikhutul-Khushig Valley and no U-turns on this road.
The road toll point is at the gate of an airport. Toll:
Road fee (one-way)
Sedan, SUV (less than 8 seats) and Motorcycle
Minivan (less than 16 seats)
Airport parking fee:
More than 150 min
Car with less than 8 seats
Vehicles with more than 8 seats
Ulaanbaatar airport to city travel tips
Please remember that heavy traffic is a common issue in many cities, and it’s best to be prepared for it. By following these suggestions, we hope you can make the most of the Ulaanbaatar airport transfer experience, even in challenging traffic conditions.
- Have the contact details of your service provider in case you need to communicate about any changes or delays.
- Travel from Ulaanbaatar airport to city takes an hour in normal traffic condition in Ulaanbaatar city. But be aware of potential traffic delays when scheduling your transfer, especially during rush hours of working days.
- Plan for extra travel time to account for traffic in Ulaanbaatar city. It’s better to arrive early and have time to spare than to rush and risk missing your flight when you travel to airport from city.
- Choose a reputable transfer service with a history of reliability and positive customer reviews.
- Bring entertainment like a book, music, or movies to pass the time during the airport transfer. You may consider carrying a neck pillow for added comfort during a longer journey.
- Have some snacks and a water bottle with you to stay nourished and hydrated, especially if your transfer takes longer than expected.
Updated on January 28, 2024