Mongolia buses (Ulaanbatar city to other provinces)
Mongolia has a regional bus network system from Ulaanbaatar city to different provinces and cities. The national auto transport center is organizing a total of 1200 vehicles every day in 75 destinations.
Regional buses also public transportation in Mongolia and ticket price is very economical compared to the other options.
No internal flights operate in some provinces from Ulaanbaatar city. That’s way long-distance buses are the first option to transport to/from the capital city. On longer distances, Some Buses travel overnight.
There are also several Mongolia bus routes to bordering cities in China and Russia, including Ulan-Ude city in Russia, Elian, and Beijing city in China. Please read more about these bus routes on this page soon.
Table of Contents
Ticket reservation and boarding
Mostly, there are one-way tickets, but you can book a round trip ticket, as you know your time framework. Depending on travel distance and provinces, prices are different. It would help if you saw the prices on the exact bus routes. There is always a fixed price for the tickets.
How to buy tickets
All the buses require an advance seat reservation. You can make a reservation bus ticket online. Since Aug 2019, the Website has an English menu, but online payment is only available with internet banking.
It is recommended to make a reservation early for popular routes during the busy travel season. However, if the bus ticket is not sold out, it is usually possible to buy a ticket just before departure at the bus terminal.
Come to the bus terminal 30 min before departure and show up your ticket.
Seating and Amenities
Provincial buses typically equipped with seats that arranged in rows of four-seat and two aisles. On some buses with four standard seats per row are in everyday use.
Buses come with no toilet but make regular toilet stops along the way. Smoking and drinking are generally not permitted on the buses.
Luggage size and limits
Long-distance buses come with a spacious luggage trunk for large suitcases and bags. There is usually a limit of 20 kg of luggage per passenger. Additional luggage has charged as 1000 MNT per kg. The luggage size should be smaller than the size of 60*40*20 cm. Smaller bags can be taken onto the bus where there are usually some overhead racks.
Provincial bus stations in Ulaanbaatar city
So you have to know which bus terminal that sells the ticket to your planned destination. There are three bus stations/terminals in Ulaanbaatar that operate buses to the Mongolian provinces.
Dragon center/bus terminal
A branch of the National Auto Transportation Center operates a public transportation service with over 700 vehicles in 50 destinations in 16 provinces and to Ulan-Ude, Russia.
Routes to provinces: Arkhangai, Uvurkhangai, Darkhan, Erdenet city, Uvs, Zavkhan, Khovd, Bayan-Ulgii, Bayankhongor, Gobi-Altai, Selenge, Khuvsgul provinces.
Bayanzurkh bus terminal
Bayanzurkh bus terminal has long-distance bus services to Dornod, Khentii, Sukhbaatar, Govisumber, Dornogovi provinces, and Zamyn-Ud town in Dornogovi as well as Erlian city in China.
Routes to provinces: Khentii, Dornod, Sukhbaatar, Dornogobi, expect Zamiin-Uud.
Lavai bus terminal
The Lavai Auto Center serves the three main destinations: soums and center cities of Tuv, Dundgovi, Umnugovi provinces. Zamiin-Uud of Dornogibi province.
Mongolia bus routes, schedule, and prices
Here is the detailed information taking a public bus to all the province center and some towns of the provinces from Ulaanbaatar city. You click the link on getting the information.
- Dalanzadgad, Umnugobi province from Ulaanbaatar city
- Mandalgobi, Dundgobi province from Ulaanbaatar
- Zamiin-Uud, Dornogobi province from Ulaanbaatar
- Sainshand, Dornogobi province from Ulaanbaatar
- Bayankhongor, Bayankhongor province from Ulaanbaatar
- Murun, Khuvsgul province from Ulaanbaatar city
- Sukhbaatar city, Selenge province from Ulaanbaatar
- Erdenet city, Orkhon province from Ulaanbaatar
- Bulgan, Bulgan province from Ulaanbaatar
- Darkhan city, Darkhan Uul province from Ulaanbaatar
- Tsetserleg, Arkhangai province from Ulaanbaatar
- Arvaikheer, Uvurkhangai province from Ulaanbaatar
- Zuun mod, Tuv province from Ulaanbaatar
- Ulgii, Bayan-Ulgii province from Ulaanbaatar city
- Khovd city, Khovd province from Ulaanbaatar
- Ulaangom, Uvs province from Ulaanbaatar
- Uliastai, Zavkhan province from Ulaanbaatar
- Altai, Gobi-Altai province from Ulaanbaatar
- Choibalsan, Dornod province from Ulaanbaatar
- Baruun-Urt, Sukhbaatar province from Ulaanbaatar
- Chinggis, Khentii province from Ulaanbaatar